Monday, May 29, 2017

34 Weeks of Clean Rinse and Repeat: Week 21- The Hall Closet


This week's assignment, the Hall Closet!

I know some of you have already gotten to this room when you did your entry, but I waited on mine  AND, until recently, we still had need for slightly heavier jackets and such.  If you are ahead of us, good for you!  Take this week to either sit back and gloat or go back and finish up an unfinished project! Or how about revisit your kitchen and see how you are keeping it up!  Remember, we can not do things once and expect them to remain perfect.  There is always need for maintenance- at least in my house.

So, yes, I did actually think I was a bit behind on cleaning out this hall closet.  I mean, summer is here right?  Well, maybe in your neck of the woods, but here in Nebraska someone did not get the memo.  This past week has been COLD ya'll.  Ok, not like snow weather, but definitely chilly!
The reality is that I am not as behind as I thought I was.  Warmer temps have finally hit and I think they are here to stay.

Luckily for me, this was a pretty easy week despite the fact that until recently we had this tiny space pretty packed! How many coats does one really need per season??!





  • So first things are first.  Yep, you guessed it - pull it all out.  Now that we have a new mud room, this space is used mostly for coats not currently being used, a space for guest coats when they come, the vacuum, and a few containers for seasonal decorations!



  • After you pull it all out it is time to sort!  What are you really using or wearing?  What have your kids outgrown?  Do you really need four coats (just saying)?  Is one lone glove really helpful when it gets cold?

  • After we determined what made the cut and what didn't, it was time to wash!  Yes, you need to do this!  After playing in the snow and such all winter, trust me, that stuff is grimy at best! 

Coats get washed too, or sent to the cleaners if needed.  That way they are clean and ready to go for the next season.  To make our lives a little less crazy, we do store our winter stuff in the garage during the off season, except for the hats, scarves, and gloves that stay in baskets in our new mudroom.  Just works for us, but you decide what works for you!


A note about these containers.  Two are marked for Easter and hold our...wait for it...Easter decorations.  One is marked Christmas and just holds a few little things that I can take out easily before I manage to pull out the big boxes.  There used to be a Valentines box as well, but I managed to give that up two years ago.  I do not mean to be a party pooper, really I do not, but I am just past the "decorate for every holiday" stage.  Call me lazy, but I just don't have the time nor the energy. See, it isn't laziness, it is just plain I'm too old and and have no energy! ;)  I also realized that by unstacking them and making them easier to access there was a better likelihood of things getting put back into them.

I wiped out the closet and the rest went back in.   And yes, a few heavier coats are still there just in case.  I am no dummy!



Not a very exciting week, I admit, but one we all should be able to get done easily!  Some weeks we need a quieter project, right?  You can thank me later.  Or just send chocolate now!


Let's see how you did last week!  By leaving pictures each week on our FB page of your progress you are entered into a drawing for wonderful prizes from our friends at 621 Gifts and Redeemed as well as a fun box of goodies from us!  

Remember, one week at a time - every little step is progress.  Keep what you need and love, pass the rest on.  You will be glad you did!

See 'ya back here next week!  Until then, happy cleaning!

Blessings,

3 comments:

  1. This assignment will let me catch up on other closets (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hall Closet is Done!!! When you have a lot of children you have a lot of winter coats. I keep them in a tote in the warm seasons and I was able to bless another family with a couple of coats that we have outgrown. The tote is still full, but there are only 2 children's winter coats hanging up rather than the 10-12 that we had. I had to use a larger tote this year, but the one we emptied we were able to refill with sleeping bags and now they aren't falling all over the closet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!