Monday, April 10, 2017

34 Weeks of Clean Rinse and Repeat Week 14 Arts, Crafts, and Hobbies


I want you to know that I am not an arts, crafts, and hobbies kind of gal, so this week is just for you all.  You are welcome!  I used to like doing a few simple things like cross stitch, making cards, and sewing clothes.   The cross stitch stopped after my eye sight went south, the card making has Hallmark people in hysterics, and the clothes-making stopped when I wore a dress I made and someone asked how far along I was.  I wasn't!  Now I stick mostly to quilting when I can find a free moment and otherwise save the crafts for people with more patience and talent and better eyes!

But I do have a few things lingering, plus I have a daughter who makes a living as a seamstress so we do have a craft/sewing room.  Well, it is mostly her sewing studio, but she humors me occasionally by letting me hang out there. 



With a growing business she took over our school room and turned it into sewing central.  It has been a huge blessing and allowed her more space for quilt layout and fittings for the alterations that she does.
                    
                           
The point here, Michele, you might ask?  Think outside the box!  
An old train case holds some of Ashton's sewing supplies

Be creative with your spaces!  If you need more space, look around and see what changes you can make!  Do you have an extra closet you aren't using? A guest room that barely gets used?  In our storage room in this new house we have a little desk set up where we keep my hubby's "office" space.  He does very little there, but it does provide a place for him to keep files and pay bills.  Someday I dream of him having a big, beautiful office space all his own, but until then, we do what we can.

Other ideas-

Recycle from about your house!  You don't always have to go get more stuff to be more organized.  This organizer was in my girl's bathroom.  When they decided not to use it, I knew I had the perfect idea for its use!  My still dwindling stamping supplies and my quilting supplies, with room for my machine on top.  Now, no, I do not make cards and such as much as I used to and I certainly do not quilt as often as I would like, but hey, a girl can dream, right?  And to let you know that I, too, feel the pain of letting things go- the last time we "34 weeked" things (yes, it is now a verb in our house!), I kept a lot more stamping supplies than I needed.  After a year of not using the stuff but three or four times, I am now letting go of the rest, save one stamp set and four stamp pads. 




Get rid of what you do not use!  Remember, we are on a mission to take back our houses.  Let's commit to stop holding on to things we do not use and do not need.  I know it is difficult to let go sometimes, but let's not allow "stuff" to take up our heads, heads, or homes!  Give it to a friend who will use it more, donate it to a retirement home or hospital, or take it to your local Goodwill.  Regardless, move it out.  Stop thinking you might use it later and live for today!  If years from now I decide to take a cross stitching again (it could happen) I know where to get a new piece of fabric and some thread.  


De-clutter and organize!  This is your assignment this week!
Find all of your arts, craft and hobby "things" and go through them with a fresh set of eyes.  Do you use them?  Do you need them?  Do they bring you joy?  If not, move it out.  Free yourself to simplify and maybe even bless someone else with what you do not need.  Throw out old stuff and resolve not to buy any more for a while.  It can be a freeing thing my friends!

Arts and crafts supplies


The trash pile!
Now, I know some of us are still tackling our pictures and scrapbooks (PLEASE someone tell me I am not alone!) but let's keep going this week and hit those arts, crafts, and hobbies area. 
 Meanwhile - show us your hard work on our Family, Faith and Fridays facebook page so we can cheer you on!

Blessings,

3 comments:

  1. I am taking a Facebook fast. Can I still participate in 34 weeks of clean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! We would love to have you join us! Just check back here each week for a new assignment.

      Delete
    2. I've been doing it since week two. Thanks for allowing me to still be in on the fun :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!