Monday, November 7, 2016

When It Is Not Well



I know you know the song.

It goes like this-

"When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul

It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul"

You probably even know the story behind it.

A gentleman named Horatio Spafford lost his young son to pneumonia and then, that same year, the family lost most of their business in the Chicago fire.  Two short years later, the family lost their three daughters when the ship on which they were sailing sunk in the Atlantic Ocean.  It was during that time of great loss that Mr. Spafford penned the words to the well known hymn, It is Well With My Soul.

I can't even imagine such loss and pain.  Can't. Even!

But I know that there are some of you that can and have!  And during this season of life, our family is walking through some pretty deep pain of our own.

Are you ready for a confession, my friends?

Some days I do not feel all is well.  

We are feeling hurt, and sadness, and disappointment, and anger.  None of those feelings point to a state of feeling well.

This is my view every day right now as I teach school.



A sweet friend brought this to me a few weeks ago and I have purposely not hung it yet because I knew that I needed to have it in my line of sight as much as possible.  (I told her if possible I would hang it around my neck.)  But right here on the hearth is directly across from me from 9-3 while I homeschool my boys.  
Wanna know how many times I read it a day??
I do not pretend to know how to live with the kind of faith that Mr. Spafford showed as he penned those words.
But this is what I do know...it is my desire to live that kind of faith.  
And so I keep reading and repeating it.  As someone once said, "Fake it 'til you feel it!"  I would tell you to repeat it 'til you feel it!
As I tell my kids all the time, speak truth to yourself.  
Phil 4:12 says "...I have learned to be content in any and all situations..."
Oh friends, that is my goal.  To be content and to be able to boldly proclaim, "It is well with my soul."
And until that time comes, we will
PRAY
TRUST
HEAL
and LOVE!
And allow God to work in our lives until we proclaim- 
It is well!

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!