Monday, October 24, 2016

When A+B Does Not Equal C


Is it just me or do we all have this expectation that if we are doing the "right" combination of things, the "right" things will happen?

You know, like-

If we read to our kids from birth on, they will be great readers who love great books.
If we homeschool our kids or send them to a great private school, they will get into the college of their dreams.
If our kids go to the best college out there they will be successful.
If we adhere to a courtship model, our kids will marry the perfect person and have a perfect marriage.

Not in a "we deserve" type of thinking but just an "if this, then this" expectation.  "I did all these things to the best of my ability and so this should be the next logical thing to happen."  Or, "I was so precise and deliberate about this thing, that this thing will happen, of course."

A+B= C

Guess what I am coming to realize?  And bear with me, because I am a slow learner.

Sometimes A+B does NOT equal C!  Or even close to it.

It has been a hard lesson for me.  And a hurtful one.  And an eye opening one.  But by the grace of God, also a faith building one.

Here is what I am learning.  God's C and our human C are not always the same.  Probably not even usually the same.  You see, we think, "I did this and this and now this is going to happen."  It's logical, it makes sense.

But God sees things differently.  His perspective is different.

I believe that sometimes His plans are just different.  Sometimes He is protecting us from something that He knows is not His best for us.  Sometimes it just about His timing.

Regardless, often our expectations and His plans don't line up.  And we get our panties in a ruffle.  We are hurt, or confused, or downright angry.

We have been hurt, and confused, and downright angry around here.  We were going down a path we thought was God's path and it got derailed.  It has been hard, and heart wrenching, and messy, and painful because it was not our C.

But I know it is God's C.   And therefore we are trusting that is for our good.

But good does not always equate to easy.

So how do we handle the days when our expectations are rattled and our A=B does NOT equal C?

TRUST GOD- Psalm 31:14 says "But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.'"

TRUST HIS PLAN- Jeremiah 29:11 says- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lordplans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

TRUST HIS LOVE- The Bible says in Jeremiah 31:3- I have loved  you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.

REST- Matthew 11:28-29 reminds us- Come to meall who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 

REACH OUT TO OTHERS- Romans 12:15 says "Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." As much as we love to rejoice with others, there is a time for weeping, and allowing others to weep with you is healing.

ALLOW TIME TO HEAL- It says in Proverbs 3:7-8 "Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON GOD- Micah 7:7 "But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me."

ALLOW HIM TO DIRECT YOUR PATH- The Bible says in Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

By recognizing our need for Him, and by crying out to Him in our times of hurt and trouble, we are able to face each hard day, hour, or even minute, with hope.

Today we are thankful for friends who love us, and for a God who sustains us!

Blessings,

6 comments:

  1. I am praying for you and your family this morning, Michele, and hoping that the heartbreak does not involve either of your sweet girls who have undergone some significant life changes during the past several months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for touching my heart with this post, scripture shared, and in so many other ways. Great morsels of truth for each of us to keep chewing on as we work out our salvation and define ourselves by God's standard and not the expectations as we learn them from this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautifully written and I appreciate the transparency you show in writing this. I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family. God is faithful. We're here for you, even if it's virtual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written and so very true. Much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, know that you are held close to the heart of God, you and all your family. His "C" is the best, just takes some time to come to that true heart knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!