Friday, January 8, 2016

Momma's Favorite Books



Every once in a while I actually get to read for pleasure.  I know, crazy, right?  Believe it or not, I think I had more free time for reading when the kids were little, but now with mostly older ones in the house, it seems our evenings are full of family time and such.  Not that that is bad, but gone are the days of early bed times and then just quiet mommy time.

But yes, I do sneak in a few minutes of reading here and there and when on a "normal" school time schedule, I have quiet reading time in the afternoon for the kids.  The plan is for me to read at the same time.  It happens sometimes.


So what am I reading in those few stolen moments of quiet?  I am usually very hesitant to recommend books.  I truly read across many genres; Fiction, Non-Fiction, Historical Fiction, Classics, just to name a few.  I know everyone has different tastes so with that in mind, bear with me.


Faith Deployed and Faith Deployed Again-

I think these are must reads for all military wives.  If you have not gone through a deployment situation you likely know someone who has or will and these will bless you in either case.  After my husband was deployed last year I went into a downward spiral and honestly, God used these little devotional-type books to lift me out of the pit. Not being dramatic- just honest. 

Elm Creek Quilt Series-

I like historical fiction. A lot  But I do not care for scandalous scenes, bad language, or sappy romances.  This series fits the bill, containing non of that!  The various books go between a group of modern day friends and the history they find though old quilts.  May seem pretty simple, but they are rich with history about the Civil War, Slave Routes, and more.  They are books I would not hesitate to have my girls read!

Kid's books- 

We read a lot and we own a lot.  For every age!  Some of our favorites are-
Skippy John Jones
Hank the Cowdog series, 
Magic Treehouse Series,
Encyclopedia Brown series,
The Moody Family series
Little House on the Prairie series
The Mysterious Benedict Society series
The Chronicles of Narnia

Whatever you choose to read, pick at least one book to read out loud, even to your older kids.  We have created so many memories by reading a particular series together for fun.

The Bible-

Of course!  Our family reads through the Bible each year together so you will always find several copies laying around our house at any given time.  If you have never braved this endeavor, it is daunting at first I know.  I would recommend you find a One Year Bible and get started.  Having each day broken up with Old Testament and New Testament will help you not feel so overwhelmed. I assure you that you will be blessed by spending a few minutes in the Word each day.

Curriculum.-
No surprise here, right?  I homeschool my kids and work as the Product Manager for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Review Crew.  Much of my day is spent with my nose in curriculum for one purpose or another. It is a passion of mine, and I love being able to help point homeschoolers, new and veteran alike, to curriculum that will best fit their needs.  It is not a one size fits all deal!

And as for now, yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a stack of about 9 books in my closet waiting for me to read.  From parenting and theology to a few fiction thrown in for fun, I have made a vow not to buy any more books until that pile is depleted.  


We will see how that goes!


What are you reading these days?  What is your favorite book? 

Happy Reading!

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. Love your list of Kid's books - many of those are our favorites too. As for adult books with great Civil War era content, I loved the Refiner's Fire Series by Lynn Austin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that series out. Thanks Cassandra for the recommendation!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!