Monday, September 29, 2014

W is for Water- 8 Easy Steps


Did you know that about 71% of the Earth's surface is covered by water?
Or that around 60% of the adult human body is made of water?
Or that the average person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day?

You do remember that I am a homeschool mom, right?

Anyway, water is important.  And because we do not drink a lot of anything else in this house, water is especially important to our family.  Which is why I have looked longingly at water filters for a long time now.  Berkey filters, specifically.  

They are cool!

And pricey!  (but, yes, worth every penny I believe!)

But you know men.  They like to create. And play with tools. And challenge themselves.

So with the encouragement of Farmer Dan, my hero husband decided he could make a comparable water filter.  A man has gotta do what a man has gotta do.

Two stainless steal pots, 2 Berkey filters, a Step bit, and a spigot later- he was ready to create!


The short of it-
1- Use two Stainless steel stock pots, your choice of size.  We used 16 quart ones and one lid.
2-  Drill two holes on the bottom of one pot to attach filters.  This will be your top pot.
3- In bottom pot, drill a hole on the side for your spigot to attach to.
4- Prime filters according to directions that come with them.
5- Attach filters and spigot.
6- Place pot with filters on top of the pot with the spigot, the rivets of the handles will keep the top pot from sliding too far down into the bottom pot.
7- Fill with a little bit of water to ensure no leaks, and then add more later.
8- Enjoy- CLEAN WATER.



And now we have a Clarke-E!

And it works!

And we love it!  And it's creator.



Blessings,


Ben and Me

Photobucket
I Choose Joy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I have to show this to my husband. I buy bottled water constantly and he keeps telling me about Berkey filters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can do it, Adena! It was much easier than we expected it to be.

      Delete
  2. We used to have a filter with an ultraviolet light that needed electricity. This would work even during a power outage. Of course with no electricity, our well pump wouldn't work but if I've planned ahead and stored filtered water.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!