Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lessons Learned from Our 16th Move

As a follow up to Our Unexpected Move, I thought I would give you a quick update and some lessons learned.

We started moving stuff over to the "new" house on Tuesday of last week.  Yesterday we finished.  7 days!  We still have pictures to be hung and a garage to be organized, but other than that - D-O-N-E!

Yes, we are that good.

HA!!  Not really! ;)  We have friends that are that good!  A dear friend and her children spent most of the week with us taking carload after carload over to the new house.  How's that for dedication? Then her hero husband took half of a day off and helped us move stuff on Friday.  And then, a boatload of the best people on earth came from our church on Saturday and moved everything else over in THREE hours.  Including a swing set that was half buried in a lot of snow. I am not kidding.  They are the best!  And they did (in three hours!) what it normally takes movers 8 hours to do.  Did I mention they are the best?

And even though this was our 16th move in 21 years, there were a few more lessons to be learned. Aren't there always?

Lessons Learned
Books weigh more than you think they do.  A lot more.

No matter how much you have purged in the past, there is always more stuff you can let go of.

Stuff is not as important as people.

You do not need as much as you think you do.

There is such a disease as too-much-school-curriculum-itus.  Ask me how I know.

Even if you are Miss Clean, there is dirt and dust hiding everywhere.  Again, ask me how I know.

Church friends are the best.

Many hands make light work.  Yes, my mom told me this a lot when I was a child, I should have listened.

Young Living essential oil Valor is good at calming psycho dogs who seem convinced you are going to decide that this is the time you are going to abandon them. (Not that the thought didn't cross my mind several times! heehee)

My husband is the best.  I knew this too, but wanted to remind you all, in case you were wondering.

Sometimes when people question your honesty and decisions, God steps in.  Today the bedroom my daughter had been living in had more water flood in.  It makes me feel terrible for the owner, but I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt we made the right decision to move.  Peace has settled in my heart.

God is faithful and good and provides.

So, what next?  Oh my goodness, I pray a little peace and normalcy!  Back to school, kids!

Blessings,

5 comments:

  1. :) so incredibly happy for you! Jennifer H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not have done it with out you all! BIGGEST THANKS!!!

      Delete
  2. I love your list and I can definitely relate to all of them:) (except for the giving the dogs valor, I will have to try that!) I am so happy for you that you are in a better place- I hope you can rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love your list of lessons learned. There's nothing like moving again and again to put the value of possessions in perspective. Enjoy your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. We are in purging mode, preparing to PCS to Germany next month! Will only be our 4th move as a family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!