Friday, January 10, 2014

52 Weeks of Family Scripture Memorization

Yes!  You read it right, 52 weeks! (Yes, I am squeezing in at the last minute)  Several of my blogging friends, DaLynn, from For the Display of His Splendor decided to do a 53 Weeks of... series and I love it!  Some of the ideas out there are awesome and I know you will be blessed by them.  Make sure you follow the cute purple button at the bottom to get started!

So why 52 Weeks of Family Scripture memorization?

When my girls were little they were a part of AWANA.  In that church program they learned Bible verses weekly for patches, prizes and accolades.  It was a great program, but I did have some reservations about their motivation in learning them and if they would really remember then later on. Much to my surprise, not only do they remember many but so do I!  Seems candy works after all. ;) Oh, and all that repetition and putting half of them to music which helped solidify it in our minds - and hopefully our hearts.  Now my youngest is in a similar church program where he too is learning scripture.

So yes, we think scripture memorization in important.  In the Bible when Jesus himself was tempted by Satan, He used scripture to avoid wrongdoing.  (not that He would have ever done wrong)  But I do think it provides us an example of one of the many reasons to memorize.

Last year as a family we worked through a book called 100 Bible Verses That Everyone Should Know By Heart.  Some verses were challenging, all were great!  We have since completed that book but I do not want to stop there.  So we will be working on memorizing one verse a week as a family - thus was born this series.  Each Tuesday we will add a verse.  Some weeks, that will be all you see - the verse. Some weeks I may try to share a little, but the whole point is the scripture - not Michele!

I pray you will join us.

So where to start?  With the verse that helps us to remember why we are doing what we are doing!




See 'ya back next week!
Blessings, 


For the Display of His Splendor

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea for a series and for growth! I've wanted to do something similar to this, but we probably won't go the whole year and aren't quite ready to start yet. Kudos to you and I can't wait to read the verses you pick and see how yall do with the memorizing. Thanks for linking up, too! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!