Friday, December 6, 2013

Decorating for Christmas- All About Advent

I love the holiday season!  There is just something about Christmas that warms my heart.  Yes, we do nightly devotions here in our house with the kids and try to turn their hearts to God daily, but at Christmas time, well, it just seems even more special to me.

Years ago we made the hard choice to not "do" Santa in our house.  And yes, it was hard.  Both my husband and I grew up with Santa and I assure you we were not scarred for life.  BUT, we decided that we just wanted to do things differently.  We want our focus to be on the Holy, not on Ho Ho.

One of the ways we try to focus our hearts on God during this special time is by doing an advent wreath.  Let me tell you friends, we have done this MANY different ways!  Many!  We have used a trees, we have used calendars, devotions, little houses with doors that open to reveal candy, and have made our own advent wreaths...and on and on!  Some we have enjoyed more than others, but all have been a learning experience.

This is our newest wreath that my mom gave to us last year and I love it!  Simple and yet so pretty!  We add the white Christ candle at the end.  The kids take turns lighting the candles each night- guess who likes that the most! ;)

Also last year we discovered Jotham's Journey, a storybook about a young boy seeking Jesus.   I was not sure about it at first, but the kids ended up loving it and eagerly awaiting the readings by dad each night.  This year we bought another in the series- Tabitha's Travels and have begun it.  The great thing about those books is that they are all tied together but can be read in any order.  I hear a rumor that there is also one for Easter now that I will be checking out!

Anyway, regardless of how you do it, I pray your family will  be able to gather together this year and celebrate the true meaning of Christmas!  Trees, packages, singing, elves, sleighs and celebrating are all fun- but let us never forget the birth of Jesus is the reason for it all!


Isa. 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall rest upon his shoulders, and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Blessings,


For the Display of His Splendor

7 comments:

  1. Michelle, this is beautiful. Your story sounds much like mine. I am so glad that our families were able to discover this "different" way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE Jotham! We have not read Tabitha's Travels yet. I was going to buy it this year but Advent was kind of here before I ever ordered it. Maybe next year. It's okay though because the whole family loves Jotham. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to all of Christ is a good thing isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to have to check out those books, thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many people recommend Jotham's Journey but have never read it. We are reading Geraldine McCaughrean's book The Jesse tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post. Definitely a good reminder. I will have to look for Jotham's Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tradition of the Advent wreath. We always look forward to doing that at church.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!