Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Pros and Cons of Homeschooling



A friend of mine and I were discussing the pros and cons of homeschooling, and it got me thinking.  I have answered many people on the WHYS of homeschooling, but never really thought about the pros and cons.

 What DO we get out of it?  What do we lose because of doing it?
Here's what I came up with from the top of my head -


I get to be with these kids every day, all day!  I cannot imagine it any other way.

I get to teach them God's word when I want and how I want.  No need to worry about stepping on toes here!

They get a teacher that LOVES them no matter what.

I know exactly what they are learning and how they are learning. I can alter things to fit their individual needs.

They rock state tests every year without me teaching to the tests!

When dad is home, they are home!  Flexibility is the name of the game when you live a military life.  We school in the middle of snowstorms, moves, and sicknesses. (OK, my kids might put that in the con category!)

When the school day is done, school is done.  No agonizing hours of homework into wee hours of the night.

If we are having a bad day we can decide to stop and cuddle instead.  Some days are just like that, right?

We create a lot of memories together.  Yes, I know you can do that while not homeschooling, but I know that some of our favorite family memories are centered around our school day - read alouds under blankets watching the snow fall, laughter at experiments gone bad, trips we never would have gone on if the kids had been in school, and even schooling in the RV for weeks in the middles of a move and across countless states!



Socialization!  Just kidding, mostly!  My well versed kids do seem to think that they are adults sometimes and therefore invited into my adult conversations.  hmmm, most of the time they are.


Lunch dates out with friends.  Well, that really only lasted a short season.  I took them with me when they were little since they knew how to behave well in restaurants, when they were elementary age I stayed home more often, and now that there is one of babysitting age, I leave them home!  Works for me!

OK, I admit, sometimes the house is not as clean as I would like it to be...we are busy doing science experiments and art sometimes!


Ummm, yep, that is about all I've got for cons!  And I know, they are all silly.  Want to know why?  Because, truly, our family has found no cons in homeschooling.  While it may not be right for everyone, it is clear to us that this is what God has called OUR FAMILY to do.  Every year we prayerfully consider our options and then we keep on going, resting in His provision and guidance.

As I tell anyone who will listen, not everyday of homeschooling is fun, but everyday is a blessing!

What about you? Why do YOU homeschool?

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!