Wednesday, August 28, 2013

5 Things She Learned at College & Why She's Going Back



Hello, my name is Ashton, and I am going back to college.  Because Mom is making me.  Just kidding, I chose to go back. =)  But what mom is making me do is share 5 things I learned there. (Because you are supposed to learn at college. Crazy, I know.)

1. Your label might change.  I went from being the most conservative person people knew to one of the most "liberal" people in my circle.  I find it kind of frightening and really funny.  I try not to scare people.  Mostly.

2. I was no longer the military kid that everyone hesitated to get to know because I might move.  At college, everyone comes from somewhere different and everyone is going to move on at some point.  So you make friends fast.

3. College is not a good place to practice your home-making skills.  Things I normally do like make: bread...

 Sew quilts...
 tea-dye lace,
 

and take pictures (like the ones above, minus the ones of me). Plus making hair gel gets hard, if not impossible to do while at college.  I'll be honest, I do some weird projects and I usually have several of them going on at one time.  I just cannot do that at college. And to be honest, that stinks because I would rather sew or clean or organize things than study. But...

4. Learning is more than just facts and books (although I do love books).  It is also about scheduling, prioritizing time, making time for friends and emails, and growing up and making decisions on my own.  Which also stinks sometimes, but it gets easier and easier. 

5. Last but not least, God does crazy things if you let Him.  I'm a Biblical Counseling major (in case you didn't know) and this past semester, God changed my life.  I had a class that required me to pick an area of my life in which to counsel myself.  I thought that it would be a good chance to practice some of the techniques I had been learning, you know, test them out and if I learned something along the way, hey, that was great.  What I didn't count on was God actually changing my heart and my life.  You should ask me about it sometime. 

Thanks for letting me share with you.
          Blessings, Ashton 

This post is linked with Amy, at Raising Arrows!

Linking up...

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Ashton, thanks for sharing this... You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great year, Ashton! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really good to read Ashton, I am so glad that you are open to the Lord moving in your life.

    So... what has caused you to become more liberal in your thinking??

    Annette @ A Net in Time
    http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, not more liberal at all...just at a very conservative Christian college. Which I love!

      Delete
  4. This was a nice read. I would love to do crafts and bake rather then study as well but your right that studying and learning is very important. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know I am where God wants me for now!

      Delete
  5. This is great Ashton, thanks for sharing! We hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss. Jacquelin! We miss your family!

      Delete
  6. I want to find a good, Christian college like that for my children someday. Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you all the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great post- love the pictures. Hope this year is wonderful for you! that bread is giving my kiddos loaf envy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really neat to hear a college student's take on going to college. Normally we hear from the moms about their child's experience. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. That was interesting to read. I never went to college but I do wonder just how to handle that as my girls get older. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!