Friday, October 5, 2012

Fun Friday- Mixes Edition

Welcome to October!  Can you believe it is already here?  One more month 'til we get to see our college girl but, hey, who is counting? ;)

Anyway... in my endeavors to make our pantry bar code free, one of the things I have been working on lately is getting rid of those little packets of mixes and bottles of sauces and making my own.  Quite honestly, not only are they better for you, but they usually are much more cost effective. 

One of our favorite go-to meals are tacos, so that was one of the first mixes I hunted down.  Actually, it was easy, because a friend brought us a wonderful fried taco meal when CJ first came home that the kids fell in love with.  When I asked her about it, I was gifted the taco seasoning recipe.  Haven't looked back since.  I also use it in stir fries and fajitas!

Enjoy!

Taco Seasoning

1 TBSP flour
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp oregano

We make this in BULK and store it in a glass jar.  I use about 3-4 TBSP. per 1 pound of beef.

Join me next week to talk about favorite dressing mixes, and if you haven't read this, it includes our favorite onion dip mix! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so going to give this a try. taco seasoning has so much salt it in. I foresee tacos on the menu this week:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!